• Mindfulness is the psychological process of bringing one’s attention to experiences occurring in the present moment.
• In other words, it is living in the present. Not worrying about the past or future.
• Mindfulness can be developed through meditation and other practices.
Some tips on how you can become more mindful :
1) Live in the present, do not dwell in the past or think about the future.
2) Learn to accept the fact that some things cannot be controlled by us and that there is only so much that we can do.
3) Stop analysing situations, that way you do not think of an imaginary outcome.
4) Be more grateful. That will make you more happy.
What are the benefits of being mindful?
1) Boosts energy levels.
2) Reduces stress and anxiety.
3) Better sleep.
4) Improves mood and happiness.
5) Improves concentration.
6) Improves digestion.
7) Helps with digestive problems.
8) Improves heart function.
9) Improves self-esteem.
Tips on how to start mindfulness meditation :
> Sit in a quiet place.
> Close your eyes.
> Concentrate on your breathing.
> Count from 1 on inhale, 2 on exhale, and so on till 10.
> Continue this practice for 5-10mins per day.
> Concentrating on your breath will make you stop thinking about other things.
> Meditating is something which can be improved with practice.
> Mindfulness Meditation helps you concentrate more on the present. It does not force you to stop thinking, but it eases the mind to naturally stop thinking and enjoy the present.
My personal experience :
When I was young I had gone for a meditation class where I was told “stop thinking”. But that is not very simple, because it is at that moment itself that all thoughts come flooding in our minds. That’s when I realized that meditation is not my cup of tea.
Recently I downloaded the ‘Headspace’ and ‘Calm’ apps. I never knew meditation could be so interesting. It took only 10 mins per day to change my mood completely. I definitely recommend everyone to try mindfulness meditation. It will change your life.
Thank you for reading! ❤